- Complete PWM Power-Control Circuitry
- Uncommitted Outputs for 200-mA Sink or Source Current
- Output Control Selects Single-Ended or Push-Pull Operation
- Internal Circuitry Prohibits Double Pulse at Either Output
- Variable Dead Time Provides Control Over Total Range
- Internal Regulator Provides a Stable 5-V Reference Supply With 5% Tolerance
- Circuit Architecture Allows Easy Synchronization
The TL494 incorporates all the functions required in the construction of a pulse-width-modulation (PWM) control
circuit on a single chip. Designed primarily for power-supply control, this device offers the flexibility to tailor the
power-supply control circuitry to a specific application.
The TL494 contains two error amplifiers, an on-chip adjustable oscillator, a dead-time control (DTC) comparator,
a pulse-steering control flip-flop, a 5-V, 5%-precision regulator, and output-control circuits.
The error amplifiers exhibit a common-mode voltage range from –0.3 V to VCC – 2 V. The dead-time control
comparator has a fixed offset that provides approximately 5% dead time. The on-chip oscillator can be bypassed
by terminating RT to the reference output and providing a sawtooth input to CT, or it can drive the common
circuits in synchronous multiple-rail power supplies.
The uncommitted output transistors provide either common-emitter or emitter-follower output capability. The
TL494 provides for push-pull or single-ended output operation, which can be selected through the output-control
function. The architecture of this device prohibits the possibility of either output being pulsed twice during
The TL494C is characterized for operation from 0°C to 70°C. The TL494I is characterized for operation from
–40°C to 85°C.